Errata for 2012
Erratta for Daphnis & Chloe (2nd Suite):
- Horns and Euphs @ 2 bars before Fig. 5. The note values should be dotted crotchet, crotchet, quaver. The pitches are correct.
- Solo Horn @ Fig. 18. The first 2 bars should be a repeat of the previous 2 bars, but with the dynamic pp, and the last note (a B quaver) tied across the barline to another quaver B. This added phrase should be under one slur from Fig. 18.
- In some scores, the Percussion 3 line, Fig 71 @ bar 4 to the end, wrongly changes its name at this point to ‘Percussion 1’. The music on this line remains correct for Percussion 3 both in the score and the part.
- At Fig 62 Solo Cornet 3 should be muted, opening with the other cornets two bars before Fig 63
- Fig 27 in the Solo Horn. 4th Bar- the last note is tied to the first in the 5th bar. The dot and dash on that last note of the 4th bar are as in the score
- Fig 29, before, C3 delete the 'p'
- Fig 64, Bars 1 & 2, Bb Bass and Timpani the second note (crotchet) needs a flat
Very Important Additional Changes
While these changes are not publishing errata, but due to confusion and ambiguity in the orchestral scores of the Suite, they must be noted in the same way as errata.
The metronome mark @ Fig 25 (Très Lent) should be read as Quaver = 66. This remains the tempo unit until Fig. 32 (Vif) when the quaver (66) should equal the new minim - in practice, crotchet = 132.
The printed score @ Fig 32 also lacks an ‘Au Mouvt’ (A Tempo) at Fig. 31. Insert this instruction at that point.
The speed of the 8 x 64ths (hemidemisemiquavers) @ 1 bar before Fig.32 (Soprano) therefore equals the semiquaver speed at Fig. 32.
It is my opinion that these latter changes are clearly the composer’s intentions, even though not as printed in current orchestral scores for the Second Suite.
3rd September 2012.